News: March 2015
On 28-29 March 2015, Michael Pedersen facilitated a two-day workshop on good governance for approx. 40 leaders of national sport governing bodies in Saint Lucia in the Caribbean. The leaders, mainly presidents and secretary-generals, represented 20 different national sport governing bodies.
Topics addressed in what was a highly interactive and intense peer-to-peer workshop were as follows:
- The strategic imperative of good governance in sport and a conceptual framework for agreeing to what it is
- Political and operational management
- Risk management, including revenue diversification
- Democratic structures and processes
- Stakeholder engagement
- Transparency and accountability
- Management of professional athletes
- Event management, including management of volunteers
- Management of participation in sport
- Management of sport for positive societal change
The workshop also included interventions by Shawn Edward, Minister for Youth Development and Sports and Richard Peterkin, Member of the International Olympic Committee.
Michael Pedersen found it a very special experience, working with and supporting and learning from sport leaders in Saint Lucia. Besides of appreciating high levels of energy and engagement, he said that “among many good moments, my very best take-away from the workshop was a president of a medium-sized sport governing body expressing that he now fully appreciates the need for change.”
Fortuna Belrose, President of Saint Lucia Olympic Committee and workshop initiator, added: “I wish to express my profound gratitude for Michael Pedersen’s significant contribution towards the thrust in changing the landscape of sports in Saint Lucia. Michael’s facilitation of the workshop for the two days left us all inspired, enlightened and energized. The opportunity for reflection, engagement and visioning was lauded by all.”