News: November 2016
On 2 November 2016, Michael Pedersen gave the keynote speech on good governance in sport at Dubai 12th International Symposium for Sports Creativity at Hotel Palazzo Versace, Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). The Symposium brought together approx. 150 sport leaders and stakeholders from across the Arab region.
Beyond sharing his perspectives on the strategic imperative of good governance in sport and what it is all about in terms of issues, Michael highlighted the following examples of evolving good governance practices in specific sport organizations across sports, countries and regions:
- Netball New Zealand as a model case for professionalizing the boardroom
- Badminton World Federation as a model case for moving beyond one-member-one-vote decision-making structures
- United States Anti-Doping Agency as a model case for independence and prevention in the fight against doping
- Football in Germany as a model case for addressing match-fixing
- South Africa Rugby Union as a model case for annual reporting
- 2014 South American Games as a model case for ticketing at international sport events
Michael Pedersen’s keynote speech was followed by a panel discussion on good governance in sport. Panelists included Hassan Mustafa, President of the International Handball Federation; Khalifa Al Sha’aly, Professor of Sports Law and Jassim Al Naqbi, Member of the Federal National Council of UAE.
As part of Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Initiatives, the Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Creative Sports Award aims a recognizing individuals, teams and organizations for making significant contributions in promoting and supporting sport. Since the 8th Edition of the Award was to recognize remarkable initiatives in sport integrity in terms of transparency, participation, justice and accountability, Dubai 12th International Symposium for Sports Creativity was focused on sport governance. The Symposium was organized by Dubai Sports Council, the official sport governing body of the Government of Dubai.For further information, see the websites of: